- Don't transport firewood, even within Tennessee.
- Don't buy or move firewood from outside the state.
- Watch for signs of infestation in your walnut trees.
Tennessee Department of Agriculture.Thousand Cankers Disease (TCD) poses a serious problem to the health of the black walnut tree. Tennessee Department of Agriculture officials urge area residents and visitors to help prevent the spread of TCD:
Tennessee Bat Working Group.White-nose Syndrome is a mysterious disease that is killing bats across the northeast United States. Many research projects are underway to help in the fight against WNS, from researching fungicides to modeling the spread and affects of the syndrome. If you would like to help there are many ways in which you can:
- Report any unusual bat activity (bats flying in the daytime) or unexplained bat deaths to your regional TWRA office. Or check out the Report a Bat Link on this website.
- Donate to a number of funds collecting money for WNS research (see National Speleological Society and Bat Conservation International pages below).
- Adhere to state and federal cave closure advisories.
- Encourage state and federal agencies to assist in WNS research and monitoring activities.
State Specific Threats
University of Georgia. Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health.
Includes invasive species by category for insects, diseases, plants, and animals.
See also: Invasive Species Status Report by Congressional District
DOI. USGS. Wetland and Aquatic Research Center.Provides fact sheets, maps and collection information for aquatic vertebrates and invertebrates occurring outside of their native range.
USDA. APHIS. Cooperative Agricultural Pest Survey (CAPS). National Agricultural Pest Information System (NAPIS).Provides State pest detection contacts, recent state exotic pest news, links to state pest resources, and a list of state CAPS survey targets.
USDA. NRCS. National Plant Data Center.
The section below contains selected highly relevant resources for this locaton, organized by source. To view all related content for this location, click on "View all resources for location" in the top left of this page.