Our About Us section provides information about the National Invasive Species Information Center (NISIC) and our Web site.
- Contact Us - Provides information about where NISIC is located, how to contact NISIC, how to provide feedback or suggested resources, and how to find additional contact information for USDA's National Agricultural Library.
- Ask a Question - How to contact NISIC for invasive species related questions, or provide feedback or suggest a resource.
- Site Map - Provides an overview of NISIC's site content.
- Web Site Redesign - Provides information about NISIC's recent Web site redesign, including benefits of the new site structure, and how site content is reorganized.
- Acronyms and Abbreviations - Includes common acronyms and abbreviations used throughout our Web site.
The National Invasive Species Information Center (NISIC) was established in 2005 at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA's) National Agricultural Library (NAL) to meet the information needs of users, including the National Invasive Species Council (Council). NAL is the nation’s primary resource for agricultural information and is one of four national libraries in the U.S. NAL also serves as the Library of the USDA.
InvasivespeciesInfo.gov is managed by NISIC. This Web site serves as a reference and educational gateway to information, organizations, and services about invasive species. The site was launched in 2005, built largely on the general content from the original Invasivespecies.gov Web site, which was managed and hosted by NAL. NISIC grew out of NAL's leadership in the development of the Invasivespecies.gov Web site for the Council.
In June 2000, Invasivespecies.gov was initially launched as a joint collaboration between NAL, the U.S. Geological Survey's National Biological Information Infrastructure (NBII), and the Council. The site has undergone several redesign efforts to enhance access the growth of invasive species information. NISIC continued to host the Council's Web site until August 2009, when the Council launched their new site.
Invasivespecies.gov is managed by the staff of the National Invasive Species Council to meet the administrative, communication, and facilitation needs specifically related to the business and activity of the Council. Executive Order 13112 established the Council in 1999.
The specific focus of the Council is to ensure that Federal agency activities concerning invasive species are coordinated, complementary, cost-efficient, and effective. The Council is also responsible for producing a National Invasive Species Management Plan. For questions regarding the Council, please see National Invasive Species Council - Contact Us.